Friday, October 3, 2008

VP Debate

Unfortunately, I had a class last night and was unable to watch the debate. And I really wanted to see it; I had hopes for some high drama there. However, I understand from the talking heads that both sides played it safe, and there were no major gaffes. It looks like the polls are giving the nod to Joe Biden as the winner. That shouldn't surprise any of us: Biden has years of experience, and he is comfortable with both foreign and domestic policy. Personally, I cringe when Sarah Palin falls into her "I'm gonna" and "you betcha" jargon. I keep picturing her in serious discussions with the heads of state of some foreign nations. I understand that's the McCain campaign's way of showing her connection with blue-collar America--the "6-pack" crowd. A woman who walks in the park each day about the same time I do put it extremely well this morning: "America doesn't need a drinking buddy; that's what we've had for the last 8 years!"

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I'm sure you could find it on YouTube if you want to torture yourself. She didn't answer any of the questions that I heard; she was having her own little debate in her head. Okay, here's the plan: no matter what they say, work in those talking points we've been rehearsing in such a "folksy" way. Can I call you Joe? That way, I can use my line, "Oh say it ain't so, Joe". Fortunately, he did not take the bait. Can you imagine the outraged charges of condescension? I'm afraid years of experience won't change any of the "facts" in her head. She is so SURE of everything; don't confuse her with any reality. And we've definitely had enough of THAT for the last 8 years!